Since its existence, I have followed and enjoyed ABC Family’s “13 Nights of Halloween.” Two weeks of glorious fall-themed entertainment to celebrate dressing up and eating too much candy. The problem, however, is that now it’s all political. Since when is Pretty Little Liars a Halloween-themed show? What happened to Teen Witch? And why is Switched at Birth sharing its finale during the event? Sure it’s a terrifying premise, but nothing Halloween worthy, especially when there’s only 13 days to be covered. Get your head in the game, Disney.
To make up for their shortcomings and because we don’t have cable, Manny and I will be hosting our own spooky TV event, 31 Days of Halloween – or rather A Month of Awesome. During which, each day of October will be chalked full of wonderful, campy shows. Nothing scary, just fun-loving programs all around.*
Though airing dates are schedule to change (based on when we are and aren’t home), here’s the current lineup of the 31 Halloween viewing event.
- The Corpse Bride
- Sweeny Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
- Harry Potters 1-8 (these also double as Christmas-themed shows … or any theme)
- Edward Scissorhands
- The Orphanage
- Hocus Pocus
- Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Teen Witch
- Ghostbusters 1-2
- Practical Magic
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Monster House
- the Frighteners (which I like to pronounce “the frighteneers”)
- The Addams Family 1-2
- James and the Giant Peach
- Sleepy Hollow
- Frankenweenie (full and short)
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (If I didn’t have plans to sit in an airport, I’d be camping out in the garden to wait for the Great Pumpkin – blankey in tow.)
If we have any time, there’s always episodes of The Musters, Supernatural, and Bewitched.
According to my calculations, seven of the above involve Tim Burton, five come from books, and more than half of them are cult classics – which is the only kind of math problem I like.
If you need me next month, remember to check the couch.
* The best part of all, it was Manny’s idea; what a dreamboat.