It’s no secret that I’m a lover of tea. It is – by far – my beverage of choice. Pretty much no matter the time of day. I like it hot, I like it iced, and I like it at whatever medium room temperature it’s become based on the current weather. Pretty much the only way you can ruin it is with sugar. But somehow, I always like the tea I make best. Maybe it’s because I buy the best tea, or maybe it’s this strict ritual, but whatever the reason, it’s freakin’ delicious.
How to Make Bangin’ Tea
- Get a teapot with an infuser (like this sweet one)* or a single-cup infuser
- Stock up on loose-leaf tea. (I hit up the Clay Gourmet and buy it by the quarter-pound.)
- Fill your infuser with a certain amount of tea. More for a stronger flavor, less for less.
- Get filtered water. Straight from the tap is sometimes gross for tea, but only if the water itself is semi gross.
- Heat and steep in whatever quantity you prefer.
If using an infuser, go with an electric kettle, which heats up the water super fast. (Great for a single cup.) If using a kettle, turn to almost medium and set the timer for 17-19 minutes. Too long and it will be gross, too short and it won’t taste like tea.
Other expert tips:
- Bags never taste as good, but usually don’t taste bad. They’re ok for travel or when in a pinch.
- Fruity flavors will always overpower the tea; don’t drink a fruit-based flavor unless it’s loose leaf. For real.
- Always steep when mega hot, even if making iced tea. Cold brew is for the birds.
- When reusing your tea, allow it to dry out before your next cup/pot. Wet tea leaves kind of taste like actual wet leaves smell – super gross. (Secret loophole, it’s generally ok for an hour or two after the first cup. It’s that weird three-ish hour gap that makes it taste funky.)
S/O to fellow tea drinker, Si Robertson, who drinks two gallons per day. While I’m not yet up to his quota (nor do I want to be), I respect the routine. Long-live unsweetened tea!
*ForLife didn’t pay me for this post, that’s just how obsessed I am with their pots. Seriously, it’s amazing. Now if they could just make one in purple already.